The Not-Beer Trip

Books, websites, links to documents of interest.

Moderator: Brandon

caedus
Apprentice Brewer

The Not-Beer Trip

Postby caedus » Tue Jun 28, 2016 10:10 am

http://thunderdogbrewery.com/2016/06/28 ... -part-one/

Most of the info is there in the blog post.

Basically I brought bottles that I purchased here in California and brought them to Germany to taste side by side with bottles I purchased there.
Brandon
German Brewing

Re: The Not-Beer Trip

Postby Brandon » Tue Jun 28, 2016 11:30 am

caedus wrote:http://thunderdogbrewery.com/2016/06/28/the-not-beer-trip-part-one/

Most of the info is there in the blog post.

Basically I brought bottles that I purchased here in California and brought them to Germany to taste side by side with bottles I purchased there.

Good article! First, compare fresh German beer to old German beer. Got that difference? Ok, good. NOW...I want to brew homebrew that tastes like the Fresh German beer. That's all. Done.

I'm on year 2 or so of this being somehow complicated for some folks. :)
Bryan R
Braumeister

Postby Bryan R » Tue Jun 28, 2016 11:38 am

Exactly, it really boils down to exactly that. I don't want some American bullshit beer trying to say its German, I don't want some oxidized German beer. I want fresh German beer the way its supposed to taste, at my house at all times, end of story.
caedus
Apprentice Brewer

Postby caedus » Tue Jun 28, 2016 12:35 pm

Absolutely. I was just glad to be able to say that the beer I have here is in fact different than the stuff I can drink in Germany. Nostalgia and perception can be finicky things, and I think this kind of pushes that to the side.

For what its worth Rothaus Pils, Peters Kolsch, and Paulaner Helles were the best beers I tried over there. It was a really different experience being able to drink it in its natural environment.
Bryan R
Braumeister

Postby Bryan R » Tue Jun 28, 2016 12:50 pm

It's funny/Ironic that you chose Paulaner Helles as your quest beer. The helles we have in the paper, when brewed correctly, puts this beer to shame. Just an FYI 8-)
Brandon
German Brewing

Postby Brandon » Tue Jun 28, 2016 2:20 pm

caedus wrote:Absolutely. I was just glad to be able to say that the beer I have here is in fact different than the stuff I can drink in Germany. Nostalgia and perception can be finicky things, and I think this kind of pushes that to the side.

For what its worth Rothaus Pils, Peters Kolsch, and Paulaner Helles were the best beers I tried over there. It was a really different experience being able to drink it in its natural environment.

Indeed! I go to Germany enough and drink enough beer (there and here) to call BS on the nostalgia, "being on vacation" factor. As you can tell, freshness varies in bottles here.

And...above all, German beer taste German. 6 month old Radeberger in the US still tastes like Radeberger. Fresh Pivo Pils, old Pivo pils still tastes like...well, Pivo Pils. Not German.

Now, on that Kostrizer, I wish you could try fresh versus bottled there, too. Not as obvious as fresh Helles or Pilsners, but old Kostrizer is a dumper.
Bryan R
Braumeister

Postby Bryan R » Tue Jun 28, 2016 3:04 pm

Yea.. what happens to people who have never even been there.. That argument is invalid.
Bilsch
Assistant Brewer

Postby Bilsch » Tue Jun 28, 2016 6:41 pm

It angered me listening to the hosts of the brewing network insisting the only reason the beer in Germany seems to taste better is your happy and on vacation. I tasted plenty of micro's in California while I was happily visiting. How come that didn't make them any better?
The Germans must be putting hallucinogenics in the schnitzel.