Hot side oxidation and beer taste

Books, websites, links to documents of interest.

Moderator: Brandon

Bilsch
Assistant Brewer

Re: Hot side oxidation and beer taste

Postby Bilsch » Sun Apr 09, 2017 12:01 pm

[/quote]
When I tried to point this out I was accused of not being open minded enough about this "revolutionary" new way of degassing water. The snag is, one doesn't need to consume faeces in order to determine that it's not good. A little advance knowledge suffices.

Best[/quote]

Speaking of dickery around here...
No one ever claimed the yeast deox method was revolutionary or even better then boiling, least of all me. It is simply an alternative when one cannot/will not boil nor have multi thousand dollar stripping columns.

You know some of us around here actually do origional work instead of simply parroting things we read in german brewing texts.
And when it comes to feces I'll defer to your superior experience.
Brody
Assistant Brewer

Postby Brody » Mon Apr 10, 2017 12:00 pm

As someone who's learned valuable things from all of you I hope we can get back to the collaborative and collegial forum we used to be!

As for the yeast scavenging thing: I've personally used both but am back to pre-boiling due to the ease of this in my new residence. I didn't notice a big flavor difference personally but also never did a proper comparison so I don't say that with any authority. I think even if it does has some potential flaws it could be viewed as a nice alternative for some. Perhaps a good analogy would be Sauergut vs using 88% Lactic Acid/Acid Malt. Sauregut is ideal but if it's out of the scope of someones brew system then technical acid is a fair compromise and much better than nothing.
Weizenberg
German Brewing

Postby Weizenberg » Tue Apr 11, 2017 3:38 am

I'm quite happy to have findings or proposals peer reviewed.

What is unnecessary is to exhibit rude behaviour as one points out possible flaws or downsides to a proposed method. If you take offense in my euphemisms then I apologise.
The Quest for Edelstoff - http://edelstoffquest.wordpress.com
Bilsch
Assistant Brewer

Postby Bilsch » Tue Apr 11, 2017 7:09 am