Historic German and Austrian Beers for the Home Brewer

Books, websites, links to documents of interest.

Moderator: Brandon

der_ak

Historic German and Austrian Beers for the Home Brewer

Postby der_ak » Mon Apr 02, 2018 11:26 am

Hello everyone,

I recently self-published a book about historic German and Austrian beer styles, all based on historic sources, and in a format and batch sizes that are suitable for home brewers. It's available as e-book and printed book on Amazon worldwide, e.g. here: https://www.amazon.com/Historic-German- ... 980468524/

The book discusses the history of beer in Germany and Austria, it talks about historic ingredients and what modern ingredients are suitable for substitutions (as much as that's possible to determine), and then goes on discuss various historic beer styles (including concrete recipes and brewing processes), which I divided into the following sections: Bavarian beers (ranging from Weissbier to the different local lager variations from Munich, Augsburg, and Bamberg), German white beers (Gose, Berliner Weisse, Kottbusser, Broyhan, Grätzer/Grodziskie), German brown beers (Mannheimer, Berliner Braunbier, Merseburger, Fredersdorfer, ...), and Austrian beers (Carinthian Stone Beer, Horner Bier, Vienna lager, and Prague beer). Most recipes are direct conversions of historic recipes from 18th, 19th and early 20th century German brewing literature, while others are indirect reconstructions deduced from multiple sources and clues.

I hope some of you who are interested in German beer history and culture from before the popularization of pale lager beers will find this interesting.
lupulus
Apprentice Brewer

Re: Historic German and Austrian Beers for the Home Brewer

Postby lupulus » Mon Apr 09, 2018 7:14 pm

Thanks Andreas.
I bought the Kindle version. It is an extremely interesting book.
I am pretty sure you have much more material than what you published, so I am curious about what you left out (why) and if you have material for another book.
For example, do you have more information on Franconian breweries? How Bavaria/ Franconia/ Bohemia came to be the center of world beer culture?

Best wishes,

Ricardo
Ich trinke Bier nur an Tagen die mit G enden , und Mittwochs
der_ak

Postby der_ak » Mon Apr 16, 2018 12:09 pm

Hi Ricardo,

Thanks for buying the book! About your question: I linked to pretty much all the source material that I used in the book itself. That's what I worked with. There are more recipes in there, but what I put in the book is what I felt comfortable being precise enough. Stuff that I didn't put in there were either out of scope for the book (such as British and Belgian beers) or lacked information that made a proper reconstruction impossible.

As for the topic of how Upper-/Lower-Bavarian, Franconian and Bohemian brewing traditions came to be, and how they relate and influenced each other, I didn't go quite as far with my research, but it would certainly be a fascinating thematic complex to explore! Maybe for my next project, if I find the time for it...

Cheers,
Andreas
Owenbräu
German Brewing

Postby Owenbräu » Thu Apr 26, 2018 11:28 pm

I bought the book as well. I look forward to digging into in and returning to you with any questions. Prosit!
- The best do the basics better -
Pablo 54

Postby Pablo 54 » Sun May 13, 2018 12:43 pm

Just bought the Kindle version as well. Now I just have to wrestle the iPad away from my wife..
Brewbama

Postby Brewbama » Sat Jul 14, 2018 7:00 pm

I think I want this just for the Mannheimer. I lived their three years and have great memories of the region, the people, and just the whole experience.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Hop

Postby Hop » Wed Aug 01, 2018 5:55 pm

This is a great read! I picked it up for Kindle a week or two ago and got through it rather quickly.