Let's talk Pils malts

Moderator: Brandon

Roachbrau
Apprentice Brewer

Let's talk Pils malts

Postby Roachbrau » Wed Oct 14, 2015 5:37 pm

Pilsner malts are the base malt for so many of our favorite light German beers. Sure, they're all "similar", but there are subtle and not so subtle differences between different maltsters, and different subcategories of Pils malts. Let's talk about them. Maybe if we get enough people to agree on certain characteristics for each malt, we can put together a cheat sheet listing the key descriptors for each, which would help in choosing a base for a specific recipe/style.

I'll start it off. I did a steeping test a while back to compare some of the malts I had lying around. All I did was steep a cup of crushed malt in about 2 cups hot tap water, then sniff and sip. Here's my notes. A dominant "bready malt" character is assumed, these are just the unique flavors that pop out for each malt.

Avangard Pilsen - clean and mild, with a faint grassiness

Weyermann Pilsen - clean and mild, with faint bread crust/toast

Weyermann Bohemian (regular) - rich and mild, with slight light nuttiness

Weyermann Floor Malted Bohemian - huge dirty/grassy aroma, like a dusty old hay barn. Taste is much more mild, but with more depth than the others, ranging from crackers to light toast.

What say you? Agree, disagree, have others to add? Let's hear it...
Bryan R
Braumeister

Re: Let's talk Pils malts

Postby Bryan R » Wed Oct 14, 2015 11:12 pm

I have to say, the floor malted in the light styles is too overwhelming for me. It just finishes to "raw" and lingering, I think a small amount would be nice to add some complexity though.

-German Brewing Founder- :tu
Bryan R
Braumeister

Postby Bryan R » Thu Oct 15, 2015 8:29 am

I hope to be adding some notes once all my Barke malt beers come to fruition.

Brandon
German Brewing

Postby Brandon » Thu Oct 15, 2015 9:48 am

I've mostly been using Weyermann malts for the past few years, mostly to be consistent while addressing process and recipe issues elsewhere. Plus, Weyermann is smack dab in the middle of the regions for styles I'm trying to brew. Namely Bavarian, Sachsen, and Czech beers.

So, I've found Weyermann's regular Pilsner malt to be a great all around Pils malt, and suited for Bavarian styles. I agree with your thoughts on the Floor Malted Bo Pils malt, and actually like that for Czech and East German Pilsners. I'm trying to brew something along the lines of Radeberger, Ur Krostizer, Hasseroder, so more minerally hoppy than the typical Bavarian light lagers.
Visit our home at: and join us on Facebook at
Bryan R
Braumeister

Postby Bryan R » Thu Oct 15, 2015 10:04 am

I have found that 85% floor malt in my most recent pils is really close to where is needs to be for that minerally raw flavor in these beers. I would say ~80% would be a great starting block

merfizle

Postby merfizle » Thu Oct 15, 2015 11:52 pm

Best Pils malt I've used is MFB (Franco Belges). I love their wheat malt as well.

IMO,

Mark
unionrdr

Postby unionrdr » Fri Oct 16, 2015 3:14 pm

I must agree on the Weyermann pils in that it tastes like a fine quality bread that's been lightly toasted. Weyermann's bopils definitely has a pronounced, non-descript nuttiness about it that I find pleasing. Mixes well with their pils malt's toasted bread flavor. But it's still up to what other grains & hops are used as to their final tone. Besides process, etc...that's where the magic happens.
Roachbrau
Apprentice Brewer

Postby Roachbrau » Fri Oct 16, 2015 4:47 pm

ajk

Postby ajk » Thu Dec 03, 2015 9:55 pm

Reviving an old thread—I joined this forum months ago but am just now getting time to read.

My favorite is Weyermann Bohemian Pilsner (not floor-malted) although lately I've started to think it's almost too rich. That happens after I've used a malt for a while—I get bored with it and want something more refined. It's why I don't currently use Maris Otter in my British ales.

Also, when I toured Weyermann, the guide said they hardly sell any of their Pilsner malt domestically—it all goes to American craft breweries and homebrewers. :o
Brandon
German Brewing

Postby Brandon » Thu Dec 03, 2015 11:50 pm

Maltsters of the world.jpg
Visit our home at: and join us on Facebook at