German Lager X

Moderator: Brandon

ajk

German Lager X

Postby ajk » Wed Mar 16, 2016 2:27 pm

Are you like me, did you order any interesting yeast from the ?

I ordered German Lager X on a strong suspicion it's the Kloster Andechs strain. The monastery is atop what is considered a holy mountain. Three years ago, I hiked up it to find my favorite doppelbock of all time (my profile photo depicts me enjoying it). More recently, they've started distributing to the US, and I had a bottle of their dunkelweizen. It was the most surrealistically richly malty example of the style I've ever tasted.

Anyway, I just got email today saying the yeast has shipped and should arrive by this weekend, just in time for me to brew a Helles. I don't normally like using special release yeasts because it makes the beer difficult to reproduce. But I figured what the hell.

Here are some photos of the view from the Andechs biergarten and the cathedral there.

Beersk

Re: German Lager X

Postby Beersk » Wed Mar 16, 2016 3:18 pm

Nice, thanks for sharing.
Owenbräu
German Brewing

Postby Owenbräu » Wed Mar 16, 2016 4:08 pm

It also goes by WLP835. It is a very good yeast, and one I have been using for the last 5-6 months straight. It rips through wort at 7-8C and falls clear once it has finished its job. I am very pleased with its brewhaus performance, consistency and reliability. Its flavor profile is very much what you would expect from a Bavarian strain. Quite pleased, I am. :mrgreen:

WLP860 is worth trying too ;)

Beautiful pics, btw.
- The best do the basics better -
wobdee
Assistant Brewer

Postby wobdee » Fri Mar 18, 2016 8:29 am

I've used this strain a few times with great results, found it similar to 830 or 2124.
Weizenberg
German Brewing

Postby Weizenberg » Sat Mar 26, 2016 5:32 pm

Never used it. Although I love their Doppelbock - the Helles never as my cup of tea. I spent many afternoons there, you can imagine that I sometimes had an interesting ascend from the mountain.

FYI - the church pictured is not a cathedral. It's a bog standard baroque country church like one sees often in our parts ;)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
The Quest for Edelstoff - http://edelstoffquest.wordpress.com
Techbrau
German Brewing

Postby Techbrau » Sat Mar 26, 2016 6:01 pm

I love their helles but it's a delicate beer. I think they're using less cara than others, and a few less IBUs to boot.

When it comes to the quality of the fermentation flavor, I believe Andechs is nearly unmatched. That's where their beers really shine, IMO.
If you always do what you've always done, then you'll always get what you've always gotten.
Owenbräu
German Brewing

Postby Owenbräu » Thu Apr 28, 2016 9:05 am

I think that's the key, Tech. If you can brew a delicate helles like Andech's, then you know you're putting all the pieces together.
- The best do the basics better -