Which Lager Yeast?

Moderator: Brandon

MaineBrewer

Which Lager Yeast?

Postby MaineBrewer » Tue Oct 20, 2015 7:08 pm

Just before I get into establishing a House Lager yeast, I'm torn between two.
I'd like to use the WLP833 (German Bock Lager) but it seems to be a rarity in these parts. What does seem to be abundant is the WLP830.

My focus is towards the maltier beer with a nice Pils or a Dortmunder Export type throw in...

I'd like to hear opinions about which way I should go:
- Hold out for WLP833 (if need be, buy it online)
- Go ahead and get the abundant/easily available WLP830

Thanks!
Roachbrau
Apprentice Brewer

Re: Which Lager Yeast?

Postby Roachbrau » Tue Oct 20, 2015 7:47 pm

Well, it depends what kind of character you're looking for. 833 is one of my favorites, but 830 ie 2142 ie 34/70 is pretty much the industry standard.

The two are pretty similar performance wise, ie fermentation duration, attenuation, and intensity. 833 usually takes a while longer to clear, but it also tends to leave more of a signature character; I usually get a slight bit of sulfur, and a more "noble" hop flavor.
Östertulls bryggeri

Postby Östertulls bryggeri » Tue Oct 20, 2015 8:03 pm

Wlp833 is great, and give the beer more of a Bavarian flavor that I fancy.
Bryan R
Braumeister

Postby Bryan R » Wed Oct 21, 2015 8:24 am

Well, 830 used to be my house yeast, I have brewed many hundreds of batches with it and know it like the back of my hand. Think of it as the WLP001, 1056, US05 of lager yeasts. You can push it high, push it low, and pretty much ALWAYS get a clean product. However that comes with a cost, the cost being its VERY flavor neutral, which can help or hurt depending on what you are going for. That said, I have recently switched to new house yeast that is a blend (using part of 833), this yeast definitely has more character. It ferments fast, but doesn't flocc well at all. 830 is crystal clear after 3 weeks lagering, 833 no so much.

-German Brewing Founder- :tu
MaineBrewer

Postby MaineBrewer » Wed Oct 21, 2015 8:39 am

Thanks for the replies.

As for the flavor that I'm going for- I prefer the malt to be the star of the show, but I would prefer to use the same yeast to make an occasional Pils or DortExport.
I don't know if that is specific enough.

What about WLP838/Wyeast 2308?
Per their product info it might be what I'm looking for as well. Anyone have experience with this?
Beersk

Postby Beersk » Wed Oct 21, 2015 2:54 pm

Roachbrau
Apprentice Brewer

Postby Roachbrau » Wed Oct 21, 2015 3:58 pm

I've got a split batch going as we speak with 833 and 838 in a helles. This is my first time using 838, but from what I hear, it's more malty and also leaves more of a sulfur character than 833.

I don't consider 833 to be that malt-forward, if anything it's fairly neutral, but it has the versatility to do well in a lot of styles. I liken it to what Bryan said about 830, it's a workhorse, but may not be the best for any particular style. If you want to focus mainly on malt, 838 or even 820 may be better choices.
Beersk

Postby Beersk » Wed Oct 21, 2015 5:47 pm

MaineBrewer

Postby MaineBrewer » Thu Oct 22, 2015 6:21 am

Thanks everyone!
I think what I will have to do is just PICK ONE and work it to death to see if it's what I want.

I'll try to get some 833 or 820. ..or 838 if they have it..
Beersk

Postby Beersk » Thu Oct 22, 2015 12:59 pm