wobdee
Assistant Brewer

Re: Brewtan

Postby wobdee » Wed Jul 27, 2016 10:24 am

Owenbräu
German Brewing

Postby Owenbräu » Wed Jul 27, 2016 12:51 pm

No. They aren't similar products designed to do the same job. I'm more interested in seeing if it either allows me to reduce the SMB dose, or if it has some supporting benefit over just using SMB. Given the mechanisms of action, I think brewtan may allow the use of vitamin C without the negative side effects downstream. The trifecta would simulate pro-lodo systems while reducing the concentration of all three to as little as possible.
- The best do the basics better -
Bilsch
Assistant Brewer

Postby Bilsch » Thu Aug 25, 2016 7:01 pm

I wonder why no one has tested plain old gelatin in brewing for it's ability to chelate and sequester metals and thus reduce oxidation of the mash. It would seem to me a more 'organic' substance then brewtan.
mchrispen
Apprentice Brewer

Postby mchrispen » Fri Aug 26, 2016 8:06 pm

Gelatin is really good at causing yeast and a few polyphenols to clump, but not much else. And it is only a cold side fining agent. I use it to remove tannins in dark fruit wines/meads or over oaked ones. That said, I prefer SuperKleer (both positive and negative charges in play) as it is fast! But fermenter/bright finings are frowned upon here.

While BTB can be used as a cold side fining, there is a different formulation recommended for fermenters. BTB is for the mash and boil.

I finally got to use some BTB in my last brew day. I used it with SMB. I got far more intense hot and cold break than I ever got using irish moss or whirlfloc, which I have been avoiding since brewing LODO. I didn't take any pictures - but the amount of settled trub in the whirlpool was impressive. It also seemed to be stickier and thicker, as opposed to the fluffy stuff that floats easily. I also had to skim the boil - I got a lot more dark brown and thick scum than any previous brew. I wonder if it was picking up some hop tannins as the trub was a bit darker than normal.

It will be a few weeks before I taste a fermented sample. The wort had the normal LODO characteristics.
Owenbräu
German Brewing

Postby Owenbräu » Fri Aug 26, 2016 8:50 pm

Can't wait to hear how it turns out. What was the brew?
Bilsch
Assistant Brewer

Postby Bilsch » Sat Aug 27, 2016 1:54 am

Actually gelatine is quite good at attaching to copper, iron, manganese etc and effectively sequestering them. It's only slightly less effective then EDTA is in that function. I Have used it in the ketazine process for hydrazine where the slightest traces of metals would catalyze decomposition of the product. I should think it would do the same magic in brewing mash and I intend to test it out when I have time.
Sure it's not a fancy and expensive exotic chemical like brewtan but it could work just as well with less flavor impact to the beer and to your wallet.
Owenbräu
German Brewing

Postby Owenbräu » Sat Aug 27, 2016 12:22 pm

Is one more specific to metals than the other? I would think casting a wide net isn't what we are targeting.
Bilsch
Assistant Brewer

Postby Bilsch » Sat Aug 27, 2016 2:28 pm

Unfortunately I don't know that answer, just simply tossing the idea out there since there seems to be interest in agents that hinder oxidation in the brewing process such as brewtan. If it does work as well the last people to tell us would be those who prefer to sell an expensive tannin compound vs cheap and available gelatin.
Owenbräu
German Brewing

Postby Owenbräu » Sun Aug 28, 2016 8:23 am

I think it's definitely worth trying. I am curious though...

I presume the gelatin won't precipitate until after the boil and once you start chilling. Will the gelatin bind up metals the whole time it is in solution or does it bind them as it is coming out of solution? Will gelatin be heat stable enough to make it through the whole mash and the boil?
Natebriscoe
Assistant Brewer

Postby Natebriscoe » Sat Oct 01, 2016 5:53 pm

Does anyone have any updates on the use of brewtan? Some on the aha are hinting that they think it improved there beer. (But by comparison to lodo that may not mean anything)

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk