Sulfate Additions

Moderator: Brandon

Big Monk
Assistant Brewer

Sulfate Additions

Postby Big Monk » Wed Jun 15, 2016 1:03 pm

Given that the members here seem to brew a nice range of beers, what seems to be the general consensus on adding sulfates via Epsom Salts and Gypsum?

The LODO paper suggests skipping these additions all together in reference to the Helles listed. I understand that sulfate concentrations are oxygen dependent in this application but is there a general estimate on the amount of sulfate typically produced by the 100 mg/l dose? Is it more of just a "brew then adjust" type of scenario?

Assuming you get your system dialed in for LODO, you should expect that a measurable and repeatable amount of oxygen ingress is being seen, and therefore, a measurable and predictable amount of sulfate is being produced, no?
Last edited by Big Monk on Wed Jun 15, 2016 1:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
“We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, therefore, is not an act, but a habit.” Aristotle

"Messieurs, c’est les microbes qui auront le dernier mot." Louis Pasteur

Check us out at www.lowoxygenbrewing.com
Bryan R
Braumeister

Re: Sulfate Additions

Postby Bryan R » Wed Jun 15, 2016 1:17 pm

I use a pretty simple approach to this..( shocking I know) I have adjusted my RO water in brunwater to just assume, 25ppm NA, and 75ppm Sulfate. All my beers short of pale ale, just use the house water with a small addition of CACL. For my pale ale I adjust to get sulfate where I want it with gypsum. Thats about as complicated as I make it.

-German Brewing Founder- :tu
Big Monk
Assistant Brewer

Postby Big Monk » Wed Jun 15, 2016 1:18 pm

“We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, therefore, is not an act, but a habit.” Aristotle

Bryan R
Braumeister

Postby Bryan R » Wed Jun 15, 2016 1:22 pm

I brew a Munich dunkel that stays on tap at all times, thats about as dark as I get. However, I prefer to mash all my beers at 5.4, so I use a basemalt with a higher pH to counteract the dark grains.

My water profile is something like... 40ca, 1mg, 25na, 75so4, 70cl.

-German Brewing Founder- :tu
Big Monk
Assistant Brewer

Postby Big Monk » Wed Jun 15, 2016 1:27 pm

If I can assume 24 Na and 75 SO₄ with reasonable assurance then I can just adjust accordingly on darker beers.

Thanks.

Owenbräu
German Brewing

Postby Owenbräu » Thu Jun 16, 2016 7:23 pm

I use CaCl on most all beers, Belgian, British and German. I do use a 2:1 CaCl:CaSO4 on American hoppy beers. I may try that ratio on a German Pils sometime too.
Last edited by Owenbräu on Fri Jun 17, 2016 8:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
- The best do the basics better -
Big Monk
Assistant Brewer

Postby Big Monk » Thu Jun 16, 2016 7:44 pm

Techbrau
German Brewing

Postby Techbrau » Thu Jun 16, 2016 7:56 pm

Amazon sells sulfate test strips that you can use to measure how much sulfite was oxidized into sulfate in your finished beer. This would be a good way to work backwards to tune your water profile while taking into account the contribution from the SMB. Of course, you'll also need to figure in boiloff in the kettle which will concentrate all flavor ions.

It will be somewhat yeast strain dependent too, since yeast utilize SO4 from the water as a nutrient. So the yeast strain you use can actually change your water profile!
If you always do what you've always done, then you'll always get what you've always gotten.
Big Monk
Assistant Brewer

Postby Big Monk » Thu Jun 16, 2016 8:24 pm