Bottling Maibock - add yeast?

Filtering, fining, bottling, etc

Moderator: Brandon

MaineBrewer

Bottling Maibock - add yeast?

Postby MaineBrewer » Fri Jan 22, 2016 8:56 am

I'll be bottling my first maibock (helles bock?) today or tomorrow. This has been lagering in secondary for about 2months now. Should I add more yeast to the bottling bucket or is there sufficient yeast still around to eat the priming sugar?

If I was going to add yeast; I wash/reuse/harvest my yeast, so I was going to add about a teaspoon of liquid harvested yeast to the bottling bucket. Give it all a gentle stir to ensure it's all mixed.

This is the first time that I've bottled a lager that's been lagering this long, so I don't have any experience.
Östertulls bryggeri

Re: Bottling Maibock - add yeast?

Postby Östertulls bryggeri » Mon Jan 25, 2016 6:58 pm

Add more yeast, a teaspoon of harvest yeast will be fine. Just let it dissolve in the bucket for 20 minutes, and then bottle the beer.
Weizenberg
German Brewing

Postby Weizenberg » Thu Feb 04, 2016 6:06 pm

Adding yeast after 2 months of conditioning is an interesting experiment. You can do it at the expense of running into interesting results, for better or worse.

By now pretty much everyting the yeast has been able to process should be pretty much done. It'll go on if you leave it longer but I wouldn't risk oxidising it by opening the lid. During the cold phase oxygen uptake is to be avoided at all costs.

I'd drop the temperatrure to -1.5 to -2.0 Celsius for at least two weeks so you get a nice clear pour.
The Quest for Edelstoff - http://edelstoffquest.wordpress.com
MaineBrewer

Postby MaineBrewer » Sat Feb 06, 2016 4:21 pm

UPDATE:
I bottled without adding yeast. I was a bit impatient and figured WTF?
Checking the bottles (I package some in PET bottles so I can do the "squeeze test"), they seem ready. Going to wait another day/two before I move them to the fridge.
Weizenberg
German Brewing

Postby Weizenberg » Tue Feb 16, 2016 5:43 pm

I think you need to learn about speise and how to calculate the extract needed to carbonate during bottle conditioning.

Any decent text about wheat beer should explain this ;)
MaineBrewer

Postby MaineBrewer » Wed Feb 17, 2016 9:36 am

Very interesting - I did get Speise and Krausening confused as one and the same.

I now have to read up on the amount of Speise needed to achieve the correct level of carbonation.
alan.messner

Postby alan.messner » Thu Sep 28, 2017 10:58 pm

I'd like to fill my bottles directly out of my spunding keg. I will loose some C02 without a counterpressure filler. they seem a pain to use and clean. If I purchased a metered dispenser, say 10 ml, I am thinking I could mix my priming sugar and krausen starter to add an active krausen yeast to end up with a yeast population that will scavenge my DO pickup from bottling before it affects my beer. I would add the 10 ml squirt to each bottle and fill each bottle with a normal push down filler. I am taking this idea directly from the Helles paper. Any thoughts?
Weizenberg
German Brewing

Postby Weizenberg » Sun Oct 01, 2017 5:46 am

Weizenberg
German Brewing

Postby Weizenberg » Sun Oct 01, 2017 5:54 am

Smellyglove
Apprentice Brewer