What makes a hefeweizen go bad?

General beer discussion, beer talk, pictures, etc...

Moderator: Brandon

asdf-user

What makes a hefeweizen go bad?

Postby asdf-user » Mon Apr 25, 2016 1:44 pm

I live in an area of the country where we have distributors who don't care at all about freshness or ensuring beer is kept fresh or cold.

I just moved here last summer, and fortunately am moving to california this upcoming June. I can only hope the situation is better at that time.

Whether it's 6 month old Paulaner, 2 month old SN Kellerweis, 3 month old Weihenstephan, it's very rare I find a hefeweizen that not only has the banana and clove flavors intact, but also doesn't have an odd off flavor as well.

What am I tasting exactly? It's not skunkiness, and it's not outright gross, but almost like the beer is stale. Is it oxidization? That seems odd considering I don't get this from other beer styles of this age. I'm curious to the mechanisms behind this problem.
Kit_B
Apprentice Brewer

Re: What makes a hefeweizen go bad?

Postby Kit_B » Mon Apr 25, 2016 2:27 pm

While I can't say definitively that you are tasting oxidation, my gut says "yes".
An odd bitterness, coupled with muted cloying sweetness?
asdf-user

Postby asdf-user » Mon Apr 25, 2016 2:33 pm

Not any sweeter than usual.

The flavor reminds me of a crappy light lager in a way, almost vegetal but doesn't taste corny. It's not overwhelming. Seems to happen to every hefe, regardless of origin.

Also of note: Many will lose their cloudiness, but not always, even with proper pouring.
Weizenberg
German Brewing

Postby Weizenberg » Mon Apr 25, 2016 3:17 pm

From which breweries are these Hefeweizen? Some bottle condition, so O2 won't be a problem. But badly stored beer deteriorates faster.
The Quest for Edelstoff - http://edelstoffquest.wordpress.com
asdf-user

Postby asdf-user » Mon Apr 25, 2016 4:14 pm

Owenbräu
German Brewing

Postby Owenbräu » Tue Apr 26, 2016 11:40 pm

It is probably stale malt and oxidized crystal malt. Bottle conditioning only consumes the oxygen in the bottle during carbonation and attaining EVG. After that, yeast are dormant (or dead) and cannot protect against the ingress of oxygen from temperature fluctuations causing air to flow in and out under the bottle cap due to pressure changes and will ultimately contribute to staling.
- The best do the basics better -
asdf-user

Postby asdf-user » Wed Apr 27, 2016 4:13 pm

Owenbräu
German Brewing

Postby Owenbräu » Wed Apr 27, 2016 4:32 pm

Unless they are temp controlled the entire time they have them, it's likely.
- The best do the basics better -
asdf-user

Postby asdf-user » Wed Apr 27, 2016 4:50 pm