Bamberg article

General beer discussion, beer talk, pictures, etc...

Moderator: Brandon

Owenbräu
German Brewing

Re: Bamberg article

Postby Owenbräu » Wed Apr 27, 2016 9:10 am

I know, right. Rauchmalt is hard to reconcile, bc supposedly (Bamhforth) malt has to sit for a full month after malting and kilning before it can be used.
- The best do the basics better -
mchrispen
Apprentice Brewer

Postby mchrispen » Wed Apr 27, 2016 12:14 pm

I completely agree on the BBQ. Been in Texas for 20 years now and just getting a handle on the perfect Central Texas brisket. I will typically smoke 2 briskets or a brisket and a porkbutt at the same time, and leave large whole chunks to vacuum seal and freeze. It's great fresh, but still pretty damned good after freezing, just trim off any grey oxidized meat after reheating gently (sous vide rules for this). Always a crisp smoke ring - and still juicy.

Two things turned it around for me... very long and slow (wrapped in foil or butcher paper at the plateau), a few minutes unwrapped at the end at a high temp (crisps up the crust). AND a very long hot rest in a damp cooler (tightly wrapped in paper and then foiled), at least 4 hours - 8 is better. Keep the cooler warm with towels soaked in boiling water.

Nothing but salt and pepper for beef. Cayenne, smoked paprika, salt and pepper for pork. No injections. Save what little drippings you might have, make a sauce with pilz, cider vinegar, rest drippings, some of the smoker drippings for smoke (if you use a pan) and a little of the rub. A dab of ketchup and hot mustard, and serve on the side. - Gotta have some slaw with that.
Brandon
German Brewing

Postby Brandon » Wed Apr 27, 2016 12:40 pm

I got my love for barbeque in Texas (I travel to Houston regularly) and my love for Rauchbier in Bamberg (we have family in German so visit fairly often). Mmmm, smoke!
Visit our home at: and join us on Facebook at