"Break" the low oxygen method for testing

Making the beer

Moderator: Brandon

Brew4Fun

"Break" the low oxygen method for testing

Postby Brew4Fun » Mon May 23, 2016 3:47 pm

I'm wondering, is there a sure fire way of destroying the low O2 method at some point near the end of the brewday for comparison purposes? The idea simply being to produce a single batch of wort using the low O2 method outlined and then splitting the batch with one portion getting excessive O2 exposure such that it should have a definite effect? Have you already done this? Do you think this can be accomplished at such a late phase in the brewday?

I'm thinking, 10 gallon batch. Brewed perfectly low O2 for the entire time. At flameout, let 5 gallons go through the valve into a secondary container without using a hose (splishing/splashing). Then both chilled and fermented in an identical fashion. Both spunded the same. The only difference being that one batch gets to take a hot steamy ride through the air into a secondary vessel at flameout. Do you think this one mistreatment of the hot wort is enough to go from white to black? Or, would the best point to try something be much earlier during the mashing phase?
Bryan R
Braumeister

Re: "Break" the low oxygen method for testing

Postby Bryan R » Mon May 23, 2016 3:57 pm

How about you just not waste 5 gallons and brew 10 gallons of great beer?

I guess I am not seeing the reasoning? Do you normally no chill? What is the purpose?

The easiest way to break it is to just do it the way you always have been. 8-)

-German Brewing Founder- :tu
Brew4Fun

Postby Brew4Fun » Mon May 23, 2016 4:14 pm

Brew4Fun

Postby Brew4Fun » Mon May 23, 2016 4:16 pm

Kit_B
Apprentice Brewer

Postby Kit_B » Mon May 23, 2016 4:34 pm

If you're dead set on ruining a batch of beer, there are a number of ways you can do it.
At essentially every step of the process, you have opportunities.

I don't completely understand what you're trying to do.
We've all ruined or negatively affected our beer by allowing oxidation, at different points.
That's basically how the instructional paper was born.

Yeah...If you want to splash it & treat it terribly while still hot, that would probably be an easy start.
But, since none of us are crazy enough to treat our wort that badly, it's hard to say what you'll experience.
Brandon
German Brewing

Postby Brandon » Mon May 23, 2016 5:04 pm

Visit our home at: and join us on Facebook at
bensonledbetter

Postby bensonledbetter » Mon May 23, 2016 10:37 pm

I think I'm going to do something similar to what you describe next month on a 10 gallon batch. A co-worker and I are going to brew a batch together. After chilling he'll get his portion of the wort and I'll get mine. He'll treat his as usual, I'll stay the course with low DO.

I'll try to remember to report back with any findings once we have beer in our glasses.
Bryan R
Braumeister

Postby Bryan R » Tue May 24, 2016 7:48 am

They *may* immediately taste the same, but start doing side by sides at 1 week, 2 weeks, 3 weeks, and 4, thats when you will see changes.

-German Brewing Founder- :tu
Owenbräu
German Brewing

Postby Owenbräu » Tue May 24, 2016 8:04 am

If you perform the mini-mash, then you can do all of this without trying to find a way to ruin a full scale batch (or half of one). If you taste a difference, then why do you need a second side by side comparison? If you don't taste a difference, then why do you need a second side by side comparison?
- The best do the basics better -
Techbrau
German Brewing

Postby Techbrau » Tue May 24, 2016 8:19 am

If you want to do a fair side by side comparison, you need to brew one batch Lodo and the other batch completely normally.
If you always do what you've always done, then you'll always get what you've always gotten.