Speck

Moderator: Brandon

lhommedieu

Speck

Postby lhommedieu » Sun May 22, 2016 1:34 pm

I'm planning on making some hot-smoked bacon this summer and will cold-smoke in the fall. I was looking for recipes for speck to try afterwards and came across this one: http://www.hartlanden.eu/bbq/geraeucherter-bauchspeck

There are a couple of threads on English-language sites that suggest a different spice profile. Garlic and Juniper are most often cited. I'd be interested in any information with respect to the curing rub and whether spec is generally dry -cured and whether it is hot smoked or cold-smoked. I think it is generally cold-smoked. I've also read that beech wood is preferable to others.
lhommedieu

Re: Speck

Postby lhommedieu » Mon May 23, 2016 10:14 pm

This looks about right:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VZ9MmxevNeQ

Definitely something to try this fall in cooler weather. The only change that I'd make is to drain the bags regularly and re-apply the dry rub.
Owenbräu
German Brewing

Postby Owenbräu » Tue May 24, 2016 8:18 am

That looks amazing. Keep us updated on the progress ;)
- The best do the basics better -
Brandon
German Brewing

Postby Brandon » Tue May 24, 2016 9:24 am

Visit our home at: and join us on Facebook at
Bryan R
Braumeister

Postby Bryan R » Tue May 24, 2016 9:33 am

It was standard to my bacon making procedure, with an extended smoke, but with the "ripening"( I'm not that hardcore yet!) But I do have the same cold smoke generator!

-German Brewing Founder- :tu
lhommedieu

Postby lhommedieu » Tue May 24, 2016 4:18 pm

I've done a lot of BBQ but my first foray into bacon will be a hot-smoked product (probably at 150F) following a week of dry rub in the fridge. I'll make it in July. That seems like a safe place to start to learn. From there I'll try cold-smoking in the Fall using the techniques outlined above. I was online looking for some insight last night and came across a series of Youtube videos for seasoning/hanging a ham over a period of 10 months. Too hardcore for me at the moment but definitely intriguing. Can't wait to hear what the wife says...