Brewtan

Moderator: Brandon

Owenbräu
German Brewing

Re: Brewtan

Postby Owenbräu » Wed Jun 08, 2016 12:05 am

A lot of things settle during lagering. I'm interested to hear the tasting report....
- The best do the basics better -
wobdee
Assistant Brewer

Postby wobdee » Wed Jun 15, 2016 11:26 am

After 4 days the FFT sample was still hazy. I cold crashed it for 5 days at 32° and it did clear slightly so maybe a 6 week lagering will clear it up. No negative effect on taste or aroma from the sample as well.
Brandon
German Brewing

Postby Brandon » Wed Jun 15, 2016 10:20 pm

Visit our home at: and join us on Facebook at
wobdee
Assistant Brewer

Postby wobdee » Thu Jun 16, 2016 7:08 am

I found that interesting as well. I went back and reread the manufactures dose recommend ation and found 2-6g/hl calculated by "final amount of beer". I missed that part, I was going by strike water so I probably used twice as much as required. Next time I'll just try the proper amount in the mash and forgo the boil addition.
wobdee
Assistant Brewer

Postby wobdee » Tue Jun 21, 2016 10:42 am

Brewed a Marzen the other day, this time added the proper amount to the mash only, no late boil addition and the wort came out crystal clear. I still preboiled and added smb with this batch as well, don't know if I want to forgo that just yet and just go straight Brewtan, I'll see how these batches turn out first.

Also my hazy Helles did clear up some when it was transfered to keg, it tasted and smelled great. I think it will be fine after lagering.
Big Monk
Assistant Brewer

Brewtan

Postby Big Monk » Tue Jun 21, 2016 10:47 am

If it's true what people have been saying about Brewtan, a test using typical non-lodo technique with an addition of Brewtan would show if it is really inhibiting oxidation reactions in the wort.

After hearing people talking about Brewtan, I'm not sure I buy what is being sold. Scavenging via SMB seems more realistic and practical. The fact that Brewtan can supposedly "block" oxidation seems suspect to me.
“We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, therefore, is not an act, but a habit.” Aristotle

"Messieurs, c’est les microbes qui auront le dernier mot." Louis Pasteur

Check us out at www.lowoxygenbrewing.com
Techbrau
German Brewing

Postby Techbrau » Tue Jun 21, 2016 11:19 am

Brewtan can't "block" oxidation by just giving the oxygen molecules a stern look, chemistry doesn't work like that. While it seems to have a small amount of scavenging ability itself, it's nowhere near as effective as sulfite, which has proven itself as a safe and effective beverage antioxidant since the time of the ancient Romans who used it when packaging wine.

What Brewtan supposedly does is bind to the transition metals like copper and iron which themselves catalyze oxidation reactions via the Fenton process. That's a good thing, but at the end of the day it's only cutting one head off of the hydra. There's many other oxidative pathways that are unhindered by the Brewtan, like the host of oxidizing enzymes present in the malt. I also have my doubts that the Brewtan can mop up ALL of the metal ions by itself. It literally takes parts per billion level concentrations for the Fenton reactions to take place.

I think Brewtan could potentially be an addition to the Lodo process, but expecting it to solve everything by itself is like expecting a weight loss pill to make you drop 100 pounds overnight.
If you always do what you've always done, then you'll always get what you've always gotten.
Big Monk
Assistant Brewer

Postby Big Monk » Tue Jun 21, 2016 11:39 am

Great info. Thanks.

There has been a lot of speculation and inference as to what Brewtan actually does on other forums and I have a feeling that its application will be misunderstood by many people.
“We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, therefore, is not an act, but a habit.” Aristotle

"Messieurs, c’est les microbes qui auront le dernier mot." Louis Pasteur

Check us out at www.lowoxygenbrewing.com
wobdee
Assistant Brewer

Postby wobdee » Tue Jul 26, 2016 4:38 pm

Just tapped my 1st Brewtan brew, the Helles that I was worried about that was all hazy which I think was due to overdosing Brewtan. It turned out just fine, crystal clear after 6 weeks lagering in the keg. Can't say its any different than previous Helles but it wasn't a Brewtan only brew, still added my usual dose of smb. I don't want to get away from smb just yet, I'll probably just incorporate a small dose of Brewtan in the mash since I have some iron and manganese in my well water and it's suppose to help in that regard.
IMG_20160726_151538303.jpg
IMG_20160726_151538303.jpg (2.45 MiB) Viewed 7121 times
Owenbräu
German Brewing

Postby Owenbräu » Wed Jul 27, 2016 7:31 am

Do you notice any flavor or clarity benefit from having used it?
- The best do the basics better -