IPA/PA - LODO effects?

Post your tried-and-true recipes

Moderator: Brandon

Feurhund

IPA/PA - LODO effects?

Postby Feurhund » Mon Jul 04, 2016 10:47 pm

I am planning on brewing a Hoppy New England style Pale Ale soon. New England style has come to mean hazy, lower bitterness with lots of whirlpool and dry hopping, a good amount of adjuncts (flaked oats/wheat) for mouthfeel and head retention. I.e Hill Farmstead, Trillium, Tree House.

I am wondering what effect LODO would have on a beer like this and knowing that oxygen fades hop aroma and flavor, if it might improve it.

Thank you for your input!
Owenbräu
German Brewing

Re: IPA/PA - LODO effects?

Postby Owenbräu » Tue Jul 05, 2016 12:24 am

Unoxidized malts and hops are delicious
- The best do the basics better -
Feurhund

Postby Feurhund » Wed Aug 24, 2016 9:44 pm

image.jpeg
image.jpeg (1.68 MiB) Viewed 7288 times

Well, it worked! This beer has 10% flaked red wheat and 10% flaked oats with the rest crisp pale ale malt.

Saturated with Citra, Mosaic and Galaxy and fermented with both Conan(heady topper strain) and London ale III.

Hops come through bright and clear and the mouthfeel is silky and full but not heavy. The malt is there too with a pleasant fresh grain backbone. LODO definitely improved the beer all around. Glad I went 10 gallons on this batch.
Brody
Assistant Brewer

Postby Brody » Wed Aug 24, 2016 10:04 pm

Did you notice any sulfur in the end? I ended up dialing back my sms to 25ppm on ale's (although the jury's out, batch one is still fermenting) after 100ppm was too much.
Techbrau
German Brewing

Postby Techbrau » Thu Aug 25, 2016 8:09 am

25 mg/l is a little low to offer enough protection IMO, but see how it turns out for you.

I think 40 mg/l is the magic number for a tight no sparge system.

Also remember that the original pdf called for 100 mg/l in mash water and 25 mg/l in sparge water assuming a traditional system. If you use 100 mg/l in a no sparge system, that's a lot more total sulfite than the traditional system.
If you always do what you've always done, then you'll always get what you've always gotten.
Brody
Assistant Brewer

Postby Brody » Thu Aug 25, 2016 10:21 am

Feurhund

Postby Feurhund » Fri Aug 26, 2016 7:27 pm

My no sparge 19 gallons of pre boiled water was about 60mg/l no sulfur in the final beer.
Techbrau
German Brewing

Postby Techbrau » Fri Aug 26, 2016 8:51 pm

60 mg/l for no sparge should be fine and I doubt you will get any objectionable sulfur at this dose with most yeasts. Certain yeasts, like wheat beer yeasts, seem to react more unfavorably to residual sulfite so in that case I would reduce the dose a bit.

If you follow the recommended doses in the paper, the mash and sparge averages out to about 60 mg/l overall. So contrary to a lot of what has been said by people not on this forum, the amount of sodium added to the water profile is only about 0.24 * 60 = 14.4 ppm. The 24 ppm sodium is only added to the mash water, but it gets diluted by the sparge water.

40-50 works just as well with my tight system, and in my book the less I need to use the better.
If you always do what you've always done, then you'll always get what you've always gotten.
Natebriscoe
Assistant Brewer

Postby Natebriscoe » Sat Aug 27, 2016 12:01 pm

Was there any type of dry hop for this beer? If so what procedure was used?

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
Feurhund

Postby Feurhund » Sun Aug 28, 2016 9:43 am

For the full 10 gallon batch I dry hopped with 1.5oz each of Mosaic, Citra and Galaxy at day 5 of fermentation in the conical.

I then put 1oz each in a paint strainer bag, dropped into a CO2 purged keg and filled.

Hops stay in till keg is kicked.