Techbrau's sauergut method

Discuss malts, hops, and yeast, not related to a specific recipe

Moderator: Brandon

bjanat
Apprentice Brewer
Posts: 125
Joined: Mon Apr 25, 2016 7:28 pm

Re: Techbrau's sauergut method

Postby bjanat » Sat Oct 22, 2016 11:10 am

Bryan R wrote:I don't think it's very "uncharted" Kunze speaks of oxygen reduction potential of SG. My SMB dose is 30mgl but I only use 10mgl of my sulfites from dough in to yeast pitch( this is with a 3hr cold trub separation process with multiple rackings ) since I started using SG. The beers are lighter in color, better in flavor, better fermentations, and clearer beer faster. Hell my mash times even went down because it activates the enzymes faster. It's a NOTABLE improvement across the whole process.

Interested to know more about the trub separation process, what type of racking.

And is SG added after the boil, allowing lacto to live?


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Bryan R
Braumeister
Posts: 882
Joined: Tue Oct 13, 2015 9:27 pm

Re: Techbrau's sauergut method

Postby Bryan R » Sat Oct 22, 2016 11:22 am

bjanat wrote:
And is SG added after the boil, allowing lacto to live?



Hah, no way! 10 minutes left.
User avatar
Ancient Abbey
German Brewing
Posts: 1128
Joined: Tue Dec 22, 2015 8:23 pm

Re: Techbrau's sauergut method

Postby Ancient Abbey » Sat Oct 22, 2016 11:32 am

bjanat wrote:And is SG added after the boil, allowing lacto to live?


Only if you are making a Berlinerweisse :tu
- The best do the basics better -
Bryan R
Braumeister
Posts: 882
Joined: Tue Oct 13, 2015 9:27 pm

Re: Techbrau's sauergut method

Postby Bryan R » Sun Oct 23, 2016 7:59 am

bjanat wrote:
Bryan R wrote:I don't think it's very "uncharted" Kunze speaks of oxygen reduction potential of SG. My SMB dose is 30mgl but I only use 10mgl of my sulfites from dough in to yeast pitch( this is with a 3hr cold trub separation process with multiple rackings ) since I started using SG. The beers are lighter in color, better in flavor, better fermentations, and clearer beer faster. Hell my mash times even went down because it activates the enzymes faster. It's a NOTABLE improvement across the whole process.

Interested to know more about the trub separation process, what type of racking.

And is SG added after the boil, allowing lacto to live?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk[/quote]


I will detail it here soonish. Got a bunch of things I am trying to put together and post. This is one of them.
User avatar
Weizenberg
German Brewing
Posts: 758
Joined: Wed Nov 11, 2015 2:11 pm
Contact:

Re: Techbrau's sauergut method

Postby Weizenberg » Sun Oct 23, 2016 7:54 pm

SG is bascially what we know as Biological acids.

So you use it to lower the mash and wort in the boil when necessary.

I've recorded my thoughts on this issue here, and the benefits there.

Think of it like this. Instead of using lactic-acid (or whatever other abomination), use SG instead.

However, there is a lot more to it, but these benefits are well understood.

Here is an interesting PDF from the Hefebank Weihenstephan which gives a nice top-level overview.

Hope it's useful.
The Quest for Edelstoff - http://edelstoffquest.wordpress.com
User avatar
Ancient Abbey
German Brewing
Posts: 1128
Joined: Tue Dec 22, 2015 8:23 pm

Re: Techbrau's sauergut method

Postby Ancient Abbey » Sun Oct 30, 2016 9:07 am

- The best do the basics better -
User avatar
bensonledbetter
Posts: 46
Joined: Fri Apr 29, 2016 10:15 am
Location: Houston, TX

Re: Techbrau's sauergut method

Postby bensonledbetter » Wed Mar 22, 2017 7:59 am

Hey @Techbrau, did you ever take any pictures of your process?

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk
Techbrau
German Brewing
Posts: 379
Joined: Thu Oct 15, 2015 1:45 pm

Re: Techbrau's sauergut method

Postby Techbrau » Sun Jun 18, 2017 7:40 pm

bensonledbetter wrote:Hey @Techbrau, did you ever take any pictures of your process?

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk


Yes, here's some pictures of what I'm doing nowadays:

IMG_1944.JPG
IMG_1944.JPG (67.9 KiB) Viewed 239 times

IMG_1945.JPG
IMG_1945.JPG (80.85 KiB) Viewed 239 times


I save enough wort from each mash to fill a 2000 ml erlenmeyer flask. If I'm starting a fresh culture, I add 40g of raw pilsner malt and 40g of acidulated malt. If I'm just topping up an existing culture, I don't add any malt.

I cover the mouth of the flask with some sanitized foil and rubber band it in place. This keeps air from getting in but will let pressure vent out. I incubate it in a sous vide water bath at 118 F for 24 hours, at which point it reaches about 0.8-1.0% acidity.

For long term storage, I freeze it in blocks or ice cubes and then vacuum seal those and throw them in the freezer.

Could not be simpler, and very little extra work on top of a normal brewday. I found that I like freezing the sauergut better than keeping it in the fridge, because IMO it starts to go a little dull after a couple weeks in the fridge, but not when frozen.
If you always do what you've always done, then you'll always get what you've always gotten.
brewcrew7
Posts: 12
Joined: Mon Apr 25, 2016 9:47 pm

Re: Techbrau's sauergut method

Postby brewcrew7 » Mon Jun 19, 2017 9:36 am

If I could brew more often I'd really like to give this process a try, seeing as I've done it essentially for a berliner weisse. The frozen cubes sounds like a great idea, good to hear that it works.

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest