ferulic acid rest in lodo for Hefeweizen ?

Wort making

Moderator: Brandon

Nick_D
Apprentice Brewer

ferulic acid rest in lodo for Hefeweizen ?

Postby Nick_D » Sat Nov 19, 2016 6:22 am

In a few days I am brewing a Hefeweizen (whilst I continue chipping away at the cold ferment thing), and of course would like to do it lodo. Mash schedules I have used before included a ferulic acid rest at 43C for up to 30 mins before raising mash temp. This seems to be rather inconvenient with a lodo mash. The time taken chilling down after boiling might be diminishing returns. However, perhaps one could use the method Bilsch has been experimenting with, of de-gassing with a dose of yeast and dextrose for the acid rest water, and then afterwards infusing with pre boiled, and SMB/AA combination to get to 62-64C ? (dosed to cover both infusion water, and undosed acid rest water).

Or, do people think the ferulic acid rest is not worth the extra trouble/potential oxidation issues ?

On a side note, I am thinking of dosing with 20 mg/L SMB + 80 mg/L AA. Is 20 mg/L still too much SMB for an ale?
I'll be bottling with remaining extract, like with spunding.

Thanks !
Natebriscoe
Assistant Brewer

Re: ferulic acid rest in lodo for Hefeweizen ?

Postby Natebriscoe » Mon Nov 21, 2016 10:48 am

I like a ferulic rest with a hefe, but can't really answer if it's worth the trouble. I sure there's a good work around for the low o2 aspect.
TheHairyHop

Postby TheHairyHop » Mon Nov 21, 2016 11:09 am

a ferulic acid rest is near the temp range of some heat tolerant yeast strains. you could pitch some with dextrose and they may munch away quite well. worth an experiment imo if the rest is something you want to go for

http://www.themadfermentationist.com/20 ... rains.html
lupulus
Apprentice Brewer

Postby lupulus » Mon Nov 21, 2016 11:23 am

The extrapolation of the light-colored lagers lodo method to other beer has not been researched. Nobody can deny that redox reactions occur during the mash, lautering, boil and fermentation, but the scientific evidence for using lodo methods in the hot side is only available for light lagers to my knowledge (as those were the beers in the experimental models). It is not self-evident that lodo will work for every beer style. As I am sure you know, micro oxidation makes many beer styles, and many wines and meads much better.
I actually think that one of the beer styles that may benefit from lodo is weissbier, but I do not have any evidence nor I have seen any evidence to support this hypothesis. Cheers!
Ich trinke Bier nur an Tagen die mit G enden , und Mittwochs
Techbrau
German Brewing

Postby Techbrau » Mon Nov 21, 2016 12:34 pm

Weissbier should be brewed Lodo to get the proper malt flavor. The best examples from Bavaria have the same underlying low oxygen malt flavor that their lagers do.

One problem you may run into is with residual sulfite because several of us have had problems with hefe yeast and too much sulfite. Ideally to brew a good Lodo weissbier you should focus on making your system as tight as possible with little to no oxygen pickup, so that the only SMB required is just enough to scavenge the 0.5 ppm or so left after preboiling and the 1 ppm or so added at dough in. A tight system with 25 mg/l or so SMB should do the trick.

As far as which styles benefit from Lodo, that is really up to you personally. If you want to make beers that have the same flavors as the most famous commercial German brands then you need to brew low oxygen. That includes the marzens and dunkels and schwarzbiers and weizens too, not just the light lagers. Most macro lagers brewed around the world (e.g. anything owned by InBev or SAB Miller, etc) are also brewed low oxygen. But as far as I can tell, few if any craft breweries in America brew low oxygen, and it appears that most Belgian breweries don't either. There are some in the UK that do, but most don't.

Lodo changes the flavor of all malts, so just think of it as a way to double the number of malt varieties at your disposal. You now have a Lodo version as well as a Hido version of each malt to work with. Hido recipes will not always directly translate to good Lodo recipes and vice versa. As one example, Lodo intensifies the flavor of roasted malts so much that it becomes difficult to make a dunkel or schwarzbier with the proper color without an overwhelming roast flavor. So you need to adjust the recipe for Lodo by doing something like a cold steep with the roasted malts, adding them at vorlauf, or using sinamar instead.
If you always do what you've always done, then you'll always get what you've always gotten.
Weizenberg
German Brewing

Postby Weizenberg » Mon Nov 21, 2016 3:02 pm

I am not too sure about hido and lodo. These are just abbreviations for badly done and properly done.

All good brew-masters know that in order to make great beer oxygen is to be avoided from bag to bottle.

A Ferulic Acid rest is very important indeed. Schneider actually does it at 38C, where it's at the optimimum. 10-15 minute rest.

The alternative, which is my old favourite, is the maltase mash.

Both work really well. And yes, you need to keep oxygen in check all the time.

Here is how you can do it.

Method 1:

Dough in at 38C, rest for 10 minutes.
Infuse with hot water up to 55C, rest for 15 minutes.
Infuse with hot water up to 62C, proceed as usual

Method 2:

Split the grain, say 50/50.
Mash first part the usual way. Dough in at 62C, then 72C saccarification rest
You are now the proud owner of maltose in your mash.

Now you will use the maltase enzyme to convert the maltose into Glucose.
Use cool water at 25C to cool the mixture down to 40-43C.
Add the remaining malt
Rest for 30 minutes
Heat 1C per minute to 72C
Convert (about 15')
mash out at 77C

I've got some notes online about method 2

https://edelstoffquest.wordpress.com/20 ... technique/
https://edelstoffquest.wordpress.com/20 ... -herrmann/

Hope this helps
The Quest for Edelstoff - http://edelstoffquest.wordpress.com
Nick_D
Apprentice Brewer

Postby Nick_D » Tue Nov 22, 2016 10:17 am

Last edited by Nick_D on Tue Nov 22, 2016 10:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
Nick_D
Apprentice Brewer

Postby Nick_D » Tue Nov 22, 2016 10:27 am

Nick_D
Apprentice Brewer

Postby Nick_D » Tue Nov 22, 2016 10:32 am

Weizenberg
German Brewing

Postby Weizenberg » Tue Nov 22, 2016 11:11 am

The Quest for Edelstoff - http://edelstoffquest.wordpress.com