Kellerwald

Moderator: Brandon

TheHairyHop

Kellerwald

Postby TheHairyHop » Sun Jan 22, 2017 12:17 pm

Does anyone have experience with Kellerwald Forchheim?

http://hitraveltales.com/kellerwald-for ... st-secret/

I recently came across it on the web and it certainly seems like a fun time
ajk

Re: Kellerwald

Postby ajk » Sun Jan 22, 2017 4:00 pm

Great time. I attended the last day of Annafest there in 2013. Going back this summer, on an earlier day this time to avoid the huge last-day crowd.

The beer was all Kellerbier of various styles, served directly out of the kellers. It wasn't all fantastic beer, and due to the fact it hadn't been lagered fully, there were some off flavors (diacetyl, excessive esters) in some of the beers.

I'll check my notes for more details and share those and some photos.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
TheHairyHop

Postby TheHairyHop » Mon Jan 23, 2017 9:04 am

it's a little odd that they would host the festival when the beer style is not quite ready
ajk

Kellerwald

Postby ajk » Mon Jan 23, 2017 7:13 pm

Well, that's what Kellerbier is, really. When it's good, it tastes like the style it's meant to eventually be, but with a little more hop flavor and bitterness, fruity esters, and creaminess. And, shocking as it may be, not every brewery in Bavaria/Franconia produces amazing beer. I suspect the buttery Kellerbiers I had might be a touch buttery even after they've finished lagering.

The second photo below shows the entrance to one of the kellers behind the men serving. It looks like the entrance to a Hobbit hole, and if I'd taken a better photo, you could see the lagering tanks down inside of it.

They only sell them by the liter, and my friends and I were the only people there splitting our liters into plastic cups so each of us could taste more breweries' wares. My favorite brewery was Nederkeller. I had their Helles, Festbier, and Schwarzbier.

Owenbräu
German Brewing

Postby Owenbräu » Sun Feb 26, 2017 7:45 am

Sounds fun :tu
- The best do the basics better -