Privatbrauerei Hoepfner

For discussion of German breweries, reviews of their beer,
tasting notes, impressions, their brewing processes (distribution to the US, decoction
mashing, recipes, flavor notes, etc).

Moderator: Brandon

ajk

Privatbrauerei Hoepfner

Postby ajk » Wed Jun 07, 2017 1:45 am

I'm currently in Baden-Wüttermburg as part of a ten-week trip through Europe. Last weekend, I attended Hoepfner Burgfest, a festival that's always held on Pentecost weekend. Entry was free, beer and food were good, and prices were quite reasonable. We tried their Doppelbock, Helles, Pils, and Porter. All were good, especially the lighter beers. The Pils has a rich, grainy malt profile and is firmly bitter but not as bitter as, say, Jever. Elsewhere, I've had their Weißbier (both hell and dunkel). The hell is excellent — their best beer in my opinion.

The tour was all in German, but the guides were kind enough to answer a few of my questions in English. I learned that they do double decoctions (with rests at 62°C and 72°C) and use open fermentations for all their beers. They said they use their own proprietary yeast but it was unclear to me whether that was for their lagers, their Weißbiers, or both.

On the tour, they served us some young (three-week lagered) Pilsner as well as some of their non-alcoholic hopped lemonade.

Unlike in Bayern, Pilsner is more common than Helles in this region. Weißbier is quite popular, though. Hoepfner's Pils and Weiß are available at most restaurants in the Karlsruhe area.
Last edited by ajk on Wed Jun 07, 2017 1:45 am, edited 3 times in total.
lupulus
Apprentice Brewer

Re: Privatbrauerei Hoepfner

Postby lupulus » Wed Jun 07, 2017 5:03 am

Thanks for sharing. Nice summary.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk
Ich trinke Bier nur an Tagen die mit G enden , und Mittwochs
Owenbräu
German Brewing

Postby Owenbräu » Wed Jun 07, 2017 8:01 am

Fantastic post! Thank you for sharing. Did they offer any tips on process or recipe development?
- The best do the basics better -
wobdee
Assistant Brewer

Postby wobdee » Fri Jun 23, 2017 6:50 pm

Very cool! Thanks
ajk

Postby ajk » Tue Jun 27, 2017 7:47 am

Crunk
Assistant Brewer

Postby Crunk » Tue Jun 27, 2017 11:31 am

Awesome summary AJ thank you for posting that if by chance you run into Stuttgart haufbrau Pilsner I know by law you can carry as much back to the United States as possible I just don't know if you live in the US or not if you do I'll pay handsomely to get some
Striving to brew better beer every time
ajk

Privatbrauerei Hoepfner

Postby ajk » Wed Jun 28, 2017 12:46 pm

Weizenberg
German Brewing

Postby Weizenberg » Wed Jun 28, 2017 2:46 pm

The Quest for Edelstoff - http://edelstoffquest.wordpress.com
Owenbräu
German Brewing

Postby Owenbräu » Wed Jun 28, 2017 5:56 pm

I get a a lot of honey during the cold fermentation, and if I'm lucky it persists for the first 4-6 weeks of lagering. This is one of the VDK's, pentanedione (butanedione is diacetyl), and is a byproduct of fermentation. Oxidized honey in aged beer isn't the same, and is reminds me more of crystalized or old honey. I notice that poorly handled beers that use a lot of carahell can develop this note. Just depends on what "honey" people are talking about.
- The best do the basics better -
Weizenberg
German Brewing

Postby Weizenberg » Wed Jun 28, 2017 7:41 pm

True.

Unfortunately the only way to know for sure objectively, would be to go by analysis (not economic for us).
The Quest for Edelstoff - http://edelstoffquest.wordpress.com