I had to try it

General beer discussion, beer talk, pictures, etc...

Moderator: Brandon

Smellyglove
Apprentice Brewer

Re: I had to try it

Postby Smellyglove » Sat Feb 03, 2018 8:51 pm

Weizenberg wrote:8-12 weeks is the classic Bavarian condition ingredients period. Obviously, there are accelerated methods, but they will impact flavours.

During the last football (soccer) world-cup in Germany, all Munich breweries bar one increased their output to profit from the expected increase in demand.

That one (Munich) brewery refused to increase the output because it would have a negative impact on the quality of their product which they weren't willing to compromise on.

Nobody installed new kettles or fermenters, but everyone shortened their conditioning period and used accelerated fermentation.

It's not difficult to guess which Munich brewery it was.

For what it's worth, all my lagers are at least 8 weeks in conditioning. Stronger ones longer. 12 weeks.

I am not saying everyone should do that, but those who ponder with the idea may find comfort in our deeply rooted traditional methods.

Do they (the bavarian breweries) actually cold coldition their beers on site (or any site) for 8-12 weeks? I thought with that amount of output and that we're in 2018 they actually do speed-things.
Weizenberg
German Brewing

Re: I had to try it

Postby Weizenberg » Sun Feb 04, 2018 3:13 am

Some do, some don't. The better ones still use long layering periods, whereas others started to use strongly accelerated schedules to the detriment of quality.

FYI Guinness has a very strongly accelerated method and is able to produce a beer in 72-76 hrs. Not that I know of any German brewer using such extreme accelerated schedules, but many produce a lager in 21 days.

It depends how quality-sensitive your audience is. For some brands it doesn't matter.
The Quest for Edelstoff - http://edelstoffquest.wordpress.com