New Brewing Software

Books, websites, links to documents of interest.

Moderator: Brandon

Big Monk
Assistant Brewer

New Brewing Software

Postby Big Monk » Thu Jul 19, 2018 11:12 pm

I’d like to announce the fruit of a recent collaboration between A.J. deLange and I which I’ve tentatively titled “The deLange-Scott Brewing Engine”.

It is a brewing spreadsheet which incorporates the proton deficit/charge accounting method of pH estimation long lauded by A.J.. Essentially it is a second generation pH estimation algorithm that finally leaves behind color based acidity approximations and other assumptions made by readily available water chemistry software and implements a technically and scientifically sound pH estimation method. In addition, it also allows for recipe input, bitterness estimation, color estimation, volume tracking and equipment profile, and extract estimation (including either No-Sparge or Batch Sparge).

It incorporates the common Low Oxygen brewing features such as metabisulfite dosing for mash and sparge water and Morey equation modifier for accounting for the lack of color pickup in the presence of oxygen.

In addition to a rigorously prepared set of calculations it utilizes the embedded Excel Solver and Macro buttons to offer unparalleled user control over the target pH and amounts of acid/base components to be used.

The sheet will be offered for free but protected to safeguard the integrity of the calculations and algorithm.

It should be available sometime next week following peer review by A.J. and the subsequent comment incorporation, error checking, and final formatting.
“We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, therefore, is not an act, but a habit.” Aristotle

"Messieurs, c’est les microbes qui auront le dernier mot." Louis Pasteur

Check us out at www.lowoxygenbrewing.com
Big Monk
Assistant Brewer

Re: New Brewing Software

Postby Big Monk » Tue Jul 24, 2018 9:05 pm

Looks like I’ll be releasing a 2 versions, both with a metric/English switch built in, 1 using percentage based recipe input (my preference) and weight/mass based (A.J.’s preference).

Any people want to β test the sheet? I’m looking for people who plan on brewing this week.
“We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, therefore, is not an act, but a habit.” Aristotle

"Messieurs, c’est les microbes qui auront le dernier mot." Louis Pasteur

Check us out at www.lowoxygenbrewing.com
rzwahr

Postby rzwahr » Tue Aug 28, 2018 9:42 am

Are you still looking for people to evaluate the sheet, or has it already been released?
caedus
Apprentice Brewer

Postby caedus » Fri Aug 31, 2018 1:30 pm

I am brewing every week. I am a commercial brewer now, trying to apply some of the methods learned here to my 7bbl brewhouse.

I would love to see your pH calculator. I have my own, but it sometimes gets a bit wonky because I am neither a water chemist, nor a programmer.