THE decoction thread - technique, theory, and how-to

Wort making

Moderator: Brandon

Roachbrau
Apprentice Brewer

THE decoction thread - technique, theory, and how-to

Postby Roachbrau » Thu Oct 15, 2015 7:52 pm

If you hadn't guessed it already, I'm a fan of decoction mashing. See here:

Let me preface this with a warning: THIS THREAD IS NOT TO DEBATE THE MERITS OF DECOCTION MASHING. This is for sharing ideas, theories, methods, and techniques for performing decoction mashes, as well as helping to provide instruction to those who would like to learn.

So, who here are the decocters? Describe your method if you like, and let's discuss!
Roachbrau
Apprentice Brewer

Re: THE decoction thread - technique, theory, and how-to

Postby Roachbrau » Tue Dec 29, 2015 10:36 am

Some sample decoction schedules graphed via

Hochkurz
hochkurz.png
hochkurz.png (19.77 KiB) Viewed 6716 times

Applications: All styles, well modified malts >38 KI/SNR

Enhanced Double Decoction
enhanceddouble.png
enhanceddouble.png (23.97 KiB) Viewed 6716 times

Applications: less modified malts, medium to dark beers, strong beers. Allows for shorter protein rest

Triple Decoction
tridecoct.png
tridecoct.png (27.19 KiB) Viewed 6716 times

Applications: under modified malts, high percentages of low diastatic power, dark beers
lhommedieu

Re: THE decoction thread - technique, theory, and how-to

Postby lhommedieu » Tue Dec 29, 2015 12:13 pm

Thank you. Sure beats Beersmith for decoction mashing. The bottom graph is close to the process that I use for Pilsner with one exception: before the second decoction the mash is allowed to (or forced to) fall to a pH that's suitable for Beta, the decoction is pulled, and then the temperature is ramped up to conversion temperature for Beta - not Alpha. I direct heat under both my main pot and decoction pot, and will adjust with direct heat if the boiled mash put back in the main pot doesn't raise it to the next step.

I'm at the point now that I can follow the process for Pilsner as VladOfTrub from HBT has advised me; of course, I'm just following and learning a formula, though - I'm no where near the point where I can look at a grain spec chart and tell you "why" I'm doing what I'm doing, and the process is definitely not intuitive for me. That said, the last two lagers that I've made have been great.

Edit: Here's what I've been able to come up with so far. One question: where's the damned "undo" button, lol.