Your experiences with SMB and different yeast strains.

How are you fermenting?

Moderator: Brandon

Weizenberg
German Brewing

Re: Your experiences with SMB and different yeast strains.

Postby Weizenberg » Wed Mar 01, 2017 3:18 pm

I remember reading in Abriss that leaving the wort overnight (12 hrs) isn't good idea (this is for pro batch sizes). That's Prof Narziss's finding. I won't be able to explain since he didn't elaborate.
The Quest for Edelstoff - http://edelstoffquest.wordpress.com
Weizenberg
German Brewing

Postby Weizenberg » Wed Mar 01, 2017 4:07 pm

lupulus wrote:
Weizenberg wrote:
lupulus wrote:BTW1 - I am considering buying a small freezer to chill faster, but this is not as fool-proof as chilling in the lager fridge. With a -20C freezer, I will need to monitor the temperature of the auxiliary container, have an alarm to pull it out of the freezer when it is ready, and be available to transfer immediately to the primary at that time.

Hmmmm, would chilling faster be necessary? For things to sediment it would take a certain time-frame. I'd imagine it would be even longer at lower temperatures...

Not sure it is necessary. I will have to test it. Most likely, I will get better sedimentation with more time but theoretically more oxidation.
Is 3 hour sedimentation less effective than 18h? Probably can be measured using a turbidity test..

Most likely, I will check how the beers do in major competitions over the next few months and then decide whether I need to change anything.

A result based on empirical observations would indeed be a most useful data-set. Will you keep us in the loop?
lupulus
Apprentice Brewer

Postby lupulus » Wed Mar 01, 2017 4:30 pm

Indeed. I do not have secrets, and if I had any, those who know me know that for a couple of helles I spill the beans.
Ich trinke Bier nur an Tagen die mit G enden , und Mittwochs
Weizenberg
German Brewing

Postby Weizenberg » Wed Mar 01, 2017 4:32 pm

Oh, many thanks! I am so looking forward to your observations!
Ancient Abbey
German Brewing

Your experiences with SMB and different yeast strains.

Postby Ancient Abbey » Wed Mar 01, 2017 5:51 pm

lupulus wrote:Most likely, I will check how the beers do in major competitions over the next few months and then decide whether I need to change anything.

It's also beneficial to enter a beer into a slightly incorrect category. Letting the judges tell you why it is incorrect for style will yield useful evaluations, but the scores won't be of use, of course.
- The best do the basics better -