Obatzda

All other topics - cheese, fermented vegetables, etc.

Moderator: Brandon

mpietropaoli

Re: Obatzda

Postby mpietropaoli » Thu May 12, 2016 9:42 am

Had some of this at the Hofbrauhaus Cleveland last weekend. I've probably had it before in my less-than-sober youth, but I enjoyed it this time.

Have to say though, it is tough to beat well-made mustard with a real pretzel AFAIC :mrgreen:
There's no easy way out. There's no shortcut home.
zwiller

Postby zwiller » Mon May 16, 2016 4:11 pm

mpietropaoli wrote:Had some of this at the Hofbrauhaus Cleveland last weekend. I've probably had it before in my less-than-sober youth, but I enjoyed it this time.

Have to say though, it is tough to beat well-made mustard with a real pretzel AFAIC :mrgreen:

Did you get trapped into doing shots from the ski? :lol: Not sure if you get to Cleveland often but if you do: http://derbrau.com/about_rev.html Sometimes I want the meal without the Oktoberfest party...

Never had obatza but it sounds awesome. I agree tho, a fresh pretzel and good mustard (we like Inglehoffer) is hard to beat.
Weizenberg
German Brewing

Postby Weizenberg » Wed May 18, 2016 2:06 pm

Obatzda is a real hodgepodge!

There are multiple ways of doing this. The beauty is that every reputable household had their own variation. The basic recipe though, calls for the Bavarian Romadour cheese as base. This may not always be withing reach abroad. So camembert or brie are used as substitutes.

For the real thing however, Romadour is the base ingredient.

Does it really matter?

Nope. Marinate it according to your tastes and serve it with pride (and good liquid bread).

My tip would be:

1. use some cream cheese as well
  2. smoked paprika is preferable
  3. a spoon of nice Helles is never wrong
  4. ground caraway seeds and garlic are essential too

Serve with chopped chives and onion rings
The Quest for Edelstoff - http://edelstoffquest.wordpress.com